Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon-卧虎藏龙 (wò hǔ cáng lóng)
卧虎藏龙 (wò hǔ cáng lóng) is a famous Chinese idiom that literally means "crouching tiger, hidden dragon." This phrase is widely used to describe hidden talents or abilities in individuals who appear unassuming or ordinary at first glance. It has its origins in a classic Chinese tale.
The Story of 卧虎藏龙 (wò hǔ cáng lóng)
Long ago, in a remote village nestled in the mountains, there lived a young man named Li. He seemed like an average villager, living a simple life and tending to his family's goats. However, Li had a secret 才华 (ái huá) talent—he was an exceptional martial artist, mastering various martial arts styles. One day, a wandering swordsman named Zhang arrived in the village. Zhang was renowned for his unparalleled swordsmanship and sought to challenge the most skilled warriors he could find. Li, despite his unassuming appearance, accepted the challenge. To everyone's surprise, Li's inner "crouching tiger" emerged, and he defeated Zhang, revealing the "hidden dragon" within him.
- She has a lot of talent when it comes to playing the piano.
Tā zài tán gāngqín fāngmiàn yǒu hěnduō cáihuá.
- His artistic talent is truly remarkable.
Tā de yìshù cáihuá zhēn shì lìngrén zhǔmù de.
This story reminds us not to judge people by their outward appearances. Just like Li, there are hidden talents and strengths within each of us waiting to be discovered. It serves as an inspiration to unearth our own potential and recognize the hidden talents in others.
卧虎藏龙 (wò hǔ cáng lóng) - Crouching tiger, hidden dragon, describing hidden talents or potential.
不起眼 (bù qǐ yǎn) - Appearing ordinary or inconspicuous.
才能 (cái néng) - Natural abilities or skills.
In our contemporary world, 卧虎藏龙 (wò hǔ cáng lóng) is a valuable concept. It encourages us to look beyond appearances and recognize the 潜力（qián lì）potential in ourselves and others. It reminds us to never underestimate someone based on their exterior, as there may be remarkable abilities waiting to be unveiled.
- She has the potential to become a great leader.
Tā yǒu chéngwéi yī wèi wěidà lǐngxiù de qiánlì.
- I am a person with potential.
Wǒ shì yīgè yǒu qiánlì de rén。
- She is a hidden musical talent, despite her unassuming appearance.
Tā shì yīgè wò hǔ cáng lóng de yīnyuèjiā, suīrán kànqǐlái hěn pǔtōng.
- The people in this group are like hidden dragons and crouching tigers.
Zhège zǔ lǐ de rén wòhǔ cánglóng.
- The young people in this town have creative ideas like hidden dragons and crouching tigers.
Zhè xiǎo zhèn shàng de niánqīng rén yǒu zhe wòhǔ cánglóng de chuàngyì.
- Dragons and Tigers in Fierce Battle-龙争虎斗 (lóng zhēng hǔ dòu)
- Copying a Cat to Paint a Tiger-照猫画虎 (zhào māo huà hǔ)
- The Tiger's Watchful Gaze-虎视眈眈 (hǔ shì dān dān)
- One Mountain, Two Tigers: A Struggle for Dominance
- Tiger's Defeat in Peaceful Plains: Bullied by Dogs
- Children Story-The Fox and the Tiger-hu jiɑ hu wei-狐假虎威
- Spectating Tigers from the Hilltop-坐山观虎斗 (zuò shān guān hǔ dòu)